Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hello Dolly

I was hoping to post something else, but as the T.S. soon to be Hurricane Dolly approaches I figured I'd just quick blog. The pool was poured yesterday nothing short of a miracle, Ernesto practically dragged the inspector here and then did a marathon pour until nearly eight last night. This means no sink hole in our yard with yards and yards of mud caving in.

Yesterday I did a quick water /food run and the cats are set for their food needs. I've got my batteries NOAA weather radio, and ice. I baked a cake for the crew at Barry's NWS office. It's a quarter to one here and the wind is definitely picking up. Barry is going to try to get home and board up some windows and secure the outside before going back to the trenches.

I have been battling my Hurricane headache since Sunday night, I don't need no stinking radar.

Someone asked me the other day about living in Brownsville, and I have to admit I love it really. It's a very small town not a lot going on seemingly but we've been scratching the surface and finding some nuggets. We went to a great musical event at the funky art gallery in town 409, and were just blown away by the talent! Blues and Blues/Jazz fusion with a hint of the Latin. What a joy to be sitting in a historic brick building with these great Tin soaring ceilings and old wood floors that vibrated with the bass and drummers. Free booze, and an upbeat eclectic crowd. The walls are hung with art of a very Mexican nature skeletal Hells Angels, dancers, one painting featured a Mogen David, another even a skeleton riding a bicycle with two tornadoes in the background. I found that one very apropos of Barry but I am not sure he'd want it hanging in his office at home aka the cave.

Rossana and I went to Mexico Friday for a quick stop at the pharmacy, and we had a great appetizer, mushrooms au gratin and hot Tortillas at the Irish pub with a two fer Margaretta's. Then we wobbled back to Brownsville replete and ready for the weekend. So far I've eaten four Mexican meals in Montamoros, one in the Paris cafe and the other in the Irish pub.

We had planned to "do" the museums here this week, and one exhibit is the tools of torture with an emphases on the Spanish Inquisition. Personally I am not ready for that one Rossana though, has a personal connection to this and I think I may have to be a very good friend and keep her company.

It just started to rain and the sky is darkening and so it begins. It continues to rain lightly intermittently.

Barry's birthday is on Saturday, and depending on this storm, if we are up and running again we are taking him to WINKS a Bar dance hall out in the wilds, that features a mechanical bull and a riding corral for real buckaroos. The music is pure Country Western & Tejano. I am not a big two stepper but will try to deport myself as well as I can.

This Saturday I was on a roll and baked my Blueberry Buckle, and Yogurt cakes. They both turned out to be nearly the best I have made so I am finally making friends with this stove and oven. If I could have my wishes granted though a gas stove and electric oven would be very nice if the kitchen genie is listening or ah reading as the case may be. All things are good at this moment and I have no complaints about my world, now if Dolly could just shpatzier much further south all would truly be well.

No comments: