Thursday, February 13, 2020

Holiday thoughts

The winter holidays for me as a child were a kaleidoscope of pictures sounds and emotions. Personally I loved the message of Hanukkah, we fought for our religious freedom our right to exist on our land under our terms (religious beliefs). The forces that attacked us were huge compared to the few led by Judah Maccabee. Our eternal light that is part of the sanctuary needed to be relit. The oil purified and sanctified was just enough for one day, a Cruz of oil takes a week to make. The miracle was that the light lasted the week. We still celebrate thousands of years later. In the dark of winter we light lights to shine on liberty, to shine to warm us lead us to the highest possible level of humanity. We give sweets and little gifts one each day chocolates and eat foods that are cooked in oil commemorating the Festival of Lights. We at home did light the menorah without the prayers without the usual foods, the latkes. We didn’t receive our gifts then. At that time Thanksgiving was Thanksgiving no Black Friday no Christmas until December. So around the end of the first week of December garlands started appearing then electric lights. I loved those beautiful blue ones, I pretended they were for Jewish children. Charlie Brown houses weren’t a thing yet, most homes were restrained, elegant and festive. They were a feast for my eyes. Fall had just ended and winter put her cloak on, short days, cold rooms the very desire to eat things that were full of fat to warm the primal need for survival. My Christian friends shared Christmas Ribbon Candies, Candy Canes, chocolates and Chocolate Cherries. I watched them set up their trees and most decorated the night before Christmas Eve placing presents underneath. We had Christmas Stockings and we hung them on our mantle. Christmas morning we’d wake up and some presents were placed on the end of our beds or downstairs  in our wreck room . I’m certain that most Jewish families had rituals that were handed down for generations that were observed to the delight of their children as my Christian friends certainly did. We had a hodgepodge of loosely based rituals and customs and our gifts were sometimes sparse. I’m a total sucker for Christmas music, the lights, I loved that people were a little more kind a little more happy the excitement anticipation of the festival of the Christian lights. Santa Claus the legends, stories of love and compassion. So I observed from a distance the families who celebrated Hanukkah and those that celebrated Christmas. Those who’s families traditions included traditional foods like my Italian friends who’s Christmas Eve Feast of the seven fishes, other friends who I attended midnight mass with. my best friend in Jr. High/ High school, an Irish Catholic who’s family shared gladly with me. I never lost my love for celebration for seeing the light and love during this time of year. My wishes for all you are in my life is to fully embrace your family, warts and all, embrace your emotions, your love, your life, your traditions. I wish you all only that which is for your best and highest good. Health and love 💗Happy New Year 🎆 with love 💗 from the RGV

No comments: