Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Hanging around

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on" Franklin D. Roosevelt.

I think I feel more like the Hanged man on my Tarot cards, just wait patiently would be my advise, so deep breaths and wait...

The appraisals were done but they are out of the 5% variance. So now we have a tie breaker appraisal and we have to wait till they contact us etc. So it looks like at least another week or two before we know what we will be offered for the house in Tampa. We will be in housing for at least another month plus. I hope we can stay here, the cats and I are used to the place and we feel comfortable here.

Barry and I joined the Golds Gym this week, it is brand new and in a great location. We worked out on Sunday and it was very quiet. The music is lousy, but that is just my little complaint with most music today, sorry kids really but BLECH, YUCK.

The weather broke for a few days and we were in the 50's day and 40's night but just for a few days now the heat and humidity have reappeared. It's actually warmer than Florida this year. No road trips for me lately although Barry is on one today meeting and seeing the areas they forecast for (the wild west). I did have my eyes examined (a red letter day indeed) and Adam you will be happy to know, no more cheap readers from out of the 50's. I am able to get Contact lenses so I can read close and read the computer. Long distance is still 20/20. So, no more having other people read menus, posters and the like. No missing glasses, or breaking them as I sit upon. I am going for a fitting today.

The roads continue to swell with Mexicans and winter Texans, you got it, they are not Snow Birds but Winter Texans, it says so on my Library card application. For such a small town the roads are filled no matter what time of day or night, the highway traffic to Mexico is non stop. I want to say whatever I have said about New Jersey, Florida, or D.C. drivers pale in comparison to Texas. So when you come to visit you are forewarned.

The people are generally nice and polite even if they turn into wear wolves when they drive. All my life I was the one with the accent, now I live in a place where everybody else has an accent, but now I really have an accent. As soon as I say something they ask where are you from? So do I say Florida of late or New York of very late? Either way they think my accent is cute. I am also a veritable rock star here. I stand out like a well something... The Mexicans unlike there stylish cousins the Cubins, are very Conservative. They generally dress in slacks and long sleeves, shirts or sweaters, no cleavage. It was ninety for three weeks and I am the only one in my skorts, skirts, and baby doll tops. Not to mention the ersatz blond hair. I am also, wait for it... Thin. My g-d I lived long enough to be thin. We'll it is relative. Because of a diet high in corn and dairy, the Mexican woman are very large. They are shorter than my 5'3'' frame and much larger. Suddenly I am tall and thin, I promise not to let it go to my head. At 55 I am turning heads and I didn't have to starve or anything. Wait till they get a load of Margo, Goli, Claudia or the Twins! On second thought I don't need the competition stay home girls it's all mine.

Food continues to be an interesting adventure, the "good" local cafe' Gaspacho was just okay, they have a buffet daily for lunch but I just had a luncheon special, it's just too much food for the middle of the day. Las Pampas was a terrific Venezuelan style steak house Gaucho decor et. all, A must when you come to visit.

I will say I am home sick for my friends and family hell you're all my family, so I am just plain lonely. It will get better once we know we can move forward and have some permanency.

No comments: