Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Well, we just heard from CARTUS. The acronym should be SHTUPUS. Oy Vayh is it bad!!!
So we are lowering our price on the open market for three weeks, and then we'll have to hold our noses and grab our handkerchiefs and sign on the dotted line while we sob.

We made another trip to Dirty Al's and pigged out on Shrimp and Flounder, Saturday night. There is a really nice market here called H.E.B. another acronym, I've dubbed it the Heb. market. They have some really good bread and a decent Organics selection. But, it is the only "market" aside from the Bodegas, Walmart/Sam's club and Target.

Barry has been working non-stop, either in the office or at home. I have been reading and slowly going a little mashugana. I went with Rosanna to the Hadassah meeting and became a member again. This Thursday we are baking Cheese Cakes for the annual Deli Luncheon. They offer a lunch at the Temple for ten dollars with drinks and dessert. You get Corned Beef on Rye or Turkey on Whole Wheat,or Tuna on a Kaiser roll, all come with a pickle, potato salad, drink and dessert. The Cheese cake we make on Thursday at the Shule. Friday we make the sandwiches and serve the incoming. Barry is the designated driver this year to pick up the take away for the office. I was told to wear my sneakers and be there at 10:00 sharp. Hey is that anyway to treat a new recruit. Just throw me into the Luncheon making fray instead of the let's have a Luncheon for new members fray? My luck, and those are my brand new sneakers too.

I do get time off for good behavior though. B' has a convention, he is delivering a paper in New Orleans and I get to go. (My air fare is little enough for him to pay so that he never hears the end of it should he leave me alone again...) This will be our first look at post Katrina New Orleans. We are signed up for a tour to see the damage etc. Many of you don't know that it was Barry who wrote those all important impact statements that the New Orleans office used when they warned of the impending killer storm. The N.O. office used that statement verbatim. So although nearly two years later it will be interesting for Barry to see where they are in terms of rebuilding. As a vegetarian on my former trips to N.O. I didn't get to explore the whole dinning experience, and I intend to make up for that as only a FOODIE on the loose can. So from Sat. the 19th till Thursday the 24th I will be renewing my love of the French Quarter and the Big Easy, Barry will have his nose to the grind stone.

The Mexican food here in the lower valley is Mexican and not Tex-Mex so the foods are just a little different. There are two Taco places that are right behind the hotel I want to try. I was told to ask for the head meat or Barbacoa. Umm I think I'll wait until someone can order for me in Spanish so I don't end up with Testicles by accident. I like that sour cream is not used on everything and the cheese is Manchego not Jack.The beef is either small dice or a larger grind then I am used to. They do not use a lot of bell peppers either and that is a good thing for me. Twice I've had Fajita's and they were served with saute' or grilled onions and skirt steak that was sliced. No sour cream, but lots of Manchego cheese, Guacamole, tomato's, lettuce, and wheat or corn tortillas. Limes accompany everything and you get either red or white rice. I see mostly pepper sauces and not the sliced hot peppers although I guess you could ask for them. Sweets are big here, I just need a tutorial on the varying types of pastry. Cinnamon is a big part of the baking, chocolate, and sauces so I have to be careful.

Margo, enjoy New York and don't get lost in the snow drifts, Craig enjoy your new raise, Adam stay safe, Goli don't get too crazy, Sandra Happy birthday again. Birthday hugs to Cousin Andy and our sister Ilene. For all the rest of the gang, be warm, dry, and many kisses from them that are "Down Under", American Style.

No comments: