Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Texas South

Well Brownsville reminds me a bit of Spring Hill, although Barry laughs at this analogy. However, I had visited there a few times in the early days when it was still very horsey, and farm. There are areas that also remind me of route 19, where all the big stores and commerce are. The History of this lower Rio Grand area is interesting. They call it the Valley, and was Mexican Territory even when Texas was made a state. In about 1836, this defaulted to The U.S. and somehow became part of Texas. There have a Pirate history very similar to Tampa Bay as well. Although much drier here, there is still farming and cattle ranches, are a large part of the economy. This was the Largest shrimping area in the states until a few years ago. Now the shrimping fleet has disappeared. It is over whelming Mexican in influence and we are clearly the minority, a very funny feeling. However everyone has been kind, and I feel very safe, as there does not appear to be this large divide in areas. Pickups and SUV's are huge here and our small Hondas a bit out of place. Saturday, a large number of Mexicans cross the border to shop, and the stores were very busy with Holiday shoppers, the mall was slammed and Sam's club was pretty hectic. We ate at Koi last night and had Sushi. It was different, I did like the seafood soup, but was not as enamored with the fish. It wasn't quite what we are used to. There is another place for Japanese to try so I'll let you know. The service was good and the restaurant was beautiful so I might try the cooked Japanese next time.
We have not gone to the old town yet, this area does have a much poorer population and is very unsafe I believe. So forewarned is forearmed. I think Beau and I will take a ride this afternoon. There is a significant Jewish population in relation to the general population. Most are of Sephardi's and Latino extraction. Although there is only a Cantor at the moment he is Orthodox and services are mixed, Friday night reform and Saturday morning Orthodox/Sephardi's. So it should be a hoot.

I am struggling to find our Organic foods but have scored a few hits at Super Target and I hate to admit I went into Super Walmart, as well as Sam's. Yes, Yes I know but must needs. The HEB we went to last week was very poor but I was told to visit the other one so... Anyway Barry was in San Antonio and he scored us some Organic meat, chicken and non pork sausage for me and pork for himself. I also found Hummus and Lavash. I am just a tad lonely though as Barry is working and busy. I will go to the Library tomorrow and find a list of groups etc. I must find a place for waxing and hair ASAP, don't ask. I want to do some volunteer work, so I'll be looking into that. They have a wildlife refuge here, where a few of the Meteorologists are active. As for work, I might get involved with Yoga, there is need for it, and as for anything else I am keeping my options open for the moment. Finding a class in speaking Spanish is at the top of my list. I am told there may be one at Luby's a kind of meeting place restaurant that is big in community affairs. It is really the Wild West here, the news is awesome, as neighbor vigilantes who shoot the bad guys are on every street and are hero's. Many people pack a pistol apparently you can do so openly here. I'll let you know about that.

For now that's all that's fit to print...

No comments: